Tuesday, March 20, 2007

NOAA in SL

So I have been looking at places that teachers and students could go to for some information and fun. I've seen NOAA at the International Spaceflight location as well as the Science School, so I went for a search. I found some interesting things to do and see here at NOAA that could be used by teachers and schools. Get the HUD as it will give you information as you travel around.

You can take a ride hanging on to a weather balloon. As the balloon floats around information is narrated to you through the HUD that they give you for free when you arrive on the island. I'm not sure what happened, but some how I let go and found myself falling. I managed to fly before hitting the ground, but it was pretty interesting.

I also walked over to a glacial exhibit. There is a animation sequence that takes you through the thawing of a glacier. You can click on the different times during the thaw, or you can animate it and watch the whole thaw.

You can also take a mini sub tour. You sit in the sub and it will take you on an undersea tour. It was really interesting to see all the work they put into the undersea side of their island, not just the top side. Again having the HUD to explain all the sites was fantastic. It was interesting to see all the different animals that they have on/around their island. They have populated the island with Orcas, Dolphins, Fish, Crabs, Jelly Fish, and so much more.

One of the most interesting things I saw was the Tsunami simulator. The HUD walked you through each step and you had a chance to learn about the Tsunami and then watch as it went through each of it's phases. As there is no safe way in RL to get this type of view or first hand look, this was a fantastic way to see it all. The best part is, that with a click everything is back to normal. No one is hurt and nothing is destroyed.

I would recommend that you take a look at this island and really explore it. They offer many different tours and experiences that should not be missed. Even if you are not into science or are a teacher/student, this is a cool island to check out. I've only mentioned a few of the things to do and see here, explore and find some more... maybe even add a comment with some of the other things you saw.

No comments: