Monday, March 19, 2007

International Spaceflight Museum















I have always been a huge fan of NASA and when ever I go to Florida I
take time to go to the Kennedy Space Center. When I found the International Spaceflight Museum I was excited! I know I mentioned this site before in another blog, but I really wanted to spend a few minutes talking about this one specifically.

This location has some fantastic sites to see and some interactivity as well. One cool feature is the spinning globe. It plays a movie of several different globes. One of the Earth with clouds, another of an inferred view of Mars, the third is an inferred view of Earth, and finally a view of the lights from Earth. The view of all the lights at night was amazing!

There is also a rocket park where they have created many of the different rockets through the ages. It is really cool to be able to fly in SL so that you can get a birds eye view of these rockets... I know you can use the different views as well, but why not just fly!

There are also several cubes that you can walk right into. On the inside of the cube there is a 360 degree picture of the inside of a lander and I believe a shuttle cockpit. These cubes give a fantastic panoramic view.

There is also a planetarium. The planetarium offers a show with motion and descriptions. It is a pretty fantastic show and worth a few minutes to watch and learn.

There are also several different interactive components located on the grounds. There is a robotic arm that you can control. It offers six different ranges of motion. One of the biggest thrills was the trip to outer space! You actually ride a rocket up to the International Space Station and can then explore. From there you can teleport to Mercury. From Mercury you can begin the tour of the Solar System. This tour is full of fantastic information.

There is also a conference center right in the middle that can accommodate quite a few people with multiple screens for presentations. There is so much more, but I'll let you take a look and see what you see.

No comments: